What should I do if I think there is a leak?

Your response should be based on where the possible leak is located and your degree of comfort with evaluating a leak. Always remember, when in doubt, call Municipal District Services at (281) 290-6503.

The following are a few scenarios that you may be exposed to regarding a possible water leak.

  1. You may notice a part of your lawn is remaining wetter than the rest of your lawn and will not dry out, there could possibly be a leak.
  2. You may notice a stream of water coming out of the ground. In some cases, the water will wash the dark color from the dirt and leave a sandy looking soil in the area where the water is coming out of the ground. This is most likely a water leak.
  3. You may notice water gushing from the ground. This is usually a water leak. We state usually because in some cases swimming pool drain lines or backwash lines discharge water in a way that appears to be a water leak. In the scenarios 1 & 2 listed above, there could be one of the following type of leaks:
    • A leak on the District’s service line. If the apparent leak is within 15 feet of the street, between the street curb and meter box, or in the street, it could be a District Service Line. Contact your water department at (281) 290-6503.
    • A leak on the customer’s service line If there is a leak between the meter box and your home, it is most likely to be the Customer’s Service Line. If you can see your water meter, you will see a registering pointer (similar to a time clock minute hand). Make sure all water is off in the home. If the pointer moves, this means that the water is discharging the pipe at some point after the meter. However, in some cases the water main may be located closer to the home than the meter box. If in doubt, contact your water department at (281) 290-6503.
    • A broken water main If at any time you see water gushing out of the street, or ground and you are not absolutely sure it is not a water leak, notify your water department immediately at (281) 290-6503.

What do I do if I have sinkholes or if the ground is sinking in my yard?

Numerous things may cause Sinkholes or ground sinking in your yard. Please call us to report the sinkhole giving the address and location of the sinkhole or depression. We will assess the problem and advise you either in person, by door tag, or by telephone of what needs to be done.

Who maintains the streets, and who should I call if there is a problem with the street?

The paved streets in Charterwood Municipal Utility District are maintained by Harris County Precinct 4. Therefore, problems or questions related to the streets should be directed to HC Precinct 4 at (281) 353-8424. Additional information about Harris County Precinct 4 can be found at http://www.hcp4.net/. Gated community streets are generally maintained by the HOA.

Who maintains the storm sewers?

Storm water sewers, or street drainage are maintained by Harris County Precinct 4. Therefore, problems or questions related to the storm sewers or street drainage should be directed to HC Precinct 4 at (281) 353-8424.  Gated community storm sewers are generally maintained by the HOA.

Who maintains the street lights?

The street lights are maintained by Centerpoint. Problems or questions related to the street lights should be directed to Centerpoint at (713) 207-2222 or toll free (800) 332-7143.   You can also report a problem with a street light at http://cnp.centerpointenergy.com/outage. Please note that the street light pole number will be necessary to properly address the location in need of repair.

Who owns and maintains the water plants?

The water plants are owned and maintained by Charterwood Municipal Utility District. We retain Municipal District Services LLC. for all operations of the water and sewer system.

Where do I find ideas to reduce my water bill?

Your water bill may be reduced using several techniques. Links on this site go to several water related web sites with multiple ideas you may use to reduce usage and the ‘bill’.

How does Charterwood Municipal Utility District “treat” the water I drink?

Your water is currently provided by either a District owned well, or purchased from the City of Houston. Water from the district wells is clean and tested in accordance with all federal, state, and local regulations. The water provided from the City of Houston is drinking water quality and tested in accordance with all federal, state, and local regulations however, for safety and protection due to the transportation of the water through water lines to your house, the water is treated with chloramines to enhance water safety and compliance with drinking water health standards.

Why does Charterwood Municipal Utility District care about water conservation?

Charterwood Municipal Utility District cares about water conservation for many reasons. “Water is our most precious resource” is the motto of one water agency in Texas. The water in our aquifer is limited. As is noted in numerous articles in various publications, we have been mandated to conserve water and to convert to surface water (more renewable). Conservation results in reduced cost to the consumer, not using up natural water resources and looking to the future when water resources in Texas may be even more limited than today.

If the district provides water service to a new business, who pays for the connection expense?

Who pays for new or extended services in the District? The user of that new service pays the cost associated with provide the new service. The Board’s policy for many years is that the requesting party pays 100% of all costs for (his/her) service. Requestors are required to make a deposit, and that deposit is used for all expenses related to their request. At NO time does any Charterwood customer pay for any costs related to providing service to new entities. In fact, fees for new services help to offset expenses and maintain our low water rates.

Where does my sewer go?

The sewer discharges into the collection system and then to the wastewater treatment plant for processing. The water and solids are separated throughout the treatment process, the solids are disposed of at a Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) registered location and the treated effluent is returned to the environment.

Why do I pay more for sewer when I use more water?

To cover the cost of operating the wastewater facility and the collection system. The infrastructure is approaching 30 years in operation. Consequently, failure of this aging system results in elevating repair & maintenance cost.

What do I do if I have a sewer back up?

First determine if the sewer backup is isolated to one location within your home such as a toilet, sink, tub, or if the backup is throughout the entire home. If it is determined that it is throughout the entire home, then you should call your operating company at 281-290-6503. The operator will investigate the situation at no cost to the resident and advise you of the findings.

Do you read meters every month?

Yes, we meters are read every month. The approximate read date is the 21st day of each month (weather permitting and depending on how the calendar falls).

How do I know my water is safe?

The TCEQ (Texas Commission on Environmental Quality) has assessed and determined that our water is safe to drink. Our water meets all state and federal standards.

How much fluoride is in water?

Please see the current Drinking Water Report by visiting the documents page for more information.

Are our fire hydrants maintained?

Charterwood MUD fire hydrants are inspected and flushed every six months. This includes flow testing, replacing missing or damaged parts, confirming that blue reflectors are appropriately in place, repairing and painting as necessary. Notifications are sent out to customers in advance with the scheduled flushing dates.

How do I read and understand my bill?

Visit the Documents page and click on “Understand Water Bill.”

How are my taxes assessed?

Harris County Appraisal District appraises property and certifies tax roll to Charterwood MUD. The Board of Directors, with the help of their financial advisor, sets the tax rate per $100 of valuation, within the boundaries of the law.

What are my taxes paying for?

Water and sewer services/lines.

What if I feel my taxes are too high?

Taxpayers should take a proactive stance to ensure fair values annually through Harris County Appraisal District.

What company collects trash in the District?

Best Trash, LLC. (281) 313-2378

How much does trash collection service cost?

Under its contract with Best Trash, LLC, the District pays $13.76 per residence per month.

Why is trash collection not itemized on my water bill?

The District pays for trash collection service out of general revenues generated from water and sewer bills and therefore does not charge its customers separately for trash collection.

Can I opt out of the trash service and have my water and sewer bill reduced?

No, trash collection service is one of several services provided by the District that are paid for through water and sewer revenues. In addition to trash collection, the other services that the District provides include water supply and treatment, sanitary sewer collection and treatment, and security patrol service contracted through the Harris County Constables Office, Precinct Four.

What are the scheduled trash collection days?

Each Wednesday and Saturday.

Why do I have to send a payment to the District in December or January each year in addition to the monthly payments that I make for my water service?

The District is a governmental entity and a political subdivision of the State of Texas. The District has the authority to levy taxes on the property located within its boundaries. The District uses the tax revenues that it collects to pay for the capital improvements that the District has constructed, including water plants, a wastewater treatment plant, lift stations, and utility lines, among others. These facilities are necessary to provide water supply, sanitary sewer, and storm drainage services to property within the District. The annual payment that taxpayers make to the District in November, December, or January is the annual property tax that the District levies against property located in the District.

The monthly charge covers the water and sanitary sewer service that a customer’s property actually receives. The amount of the monthly charge depends on the amount of service (water and sewer) that a customer uses. There is a minimum charge that applies to all customers. Any charge over the minimum is calculated based on actual water usage. The monthly charge is a user fee and is separate from the tax.


Please use the following link to the District’s Rate Order to find the indicated fees and rates:

  • Tap Fees: Section 2.09
  • Water Rates: Section 3.01
  • Sewer Rates: Section 3.02
  • Transfer Fee: Section 3.03
  • Security Deposit-Residential Section 4.01A
  • Security Deposit-Commercial Section 4.01B
  • Disconnection Deposit-Residential Section 4.01E
  • Disconnection Deposit-Commercial Section 4.01F
  • Reconnection Fee: Section 4.02C


Charterwood Municipal Utility District – Sometimes herein may be referred to as the “District”.

District Water Main – The water pipe that transports water from the water plant throughout the neighborhood. This network of piping is referred to as the distribution system.

District Water Service Line – The water pipe that transports water from the water main to the meter. In almost all residential connections this is a 1” line. This line is usually made of copper tubing or plastic tubing.

Customer Water Service Line – The water pipe that transports water from the meter to the house or business. This line is usually made of PVC or galvanized metal.

District Sewer Main – The sewer line in which provides for the transport of waste from the collection system to the wastewater treatment plant.

Customer Sewer Line – The sewer line which transports the waste discharged from homes and businesses to the district sewer main.

Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) – The state agency which supervises the operation of utility districts within the state of Texas. Always remember, if at any time you feel you need assistance from your water/sewer department, you may contact Water District Management at (281) 376-8802.